Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Van Gogh




Van Gogh continues to be such a fascinating artist and figure for me. I studied abroad in the Netherlands in college, and one of my favorite places to visit in Amsterdam was the Van Gogh museum (actually pronounced "Van Ghough" using gutteral noises in the back of your throat for the G's!). His use of color and nature was always telling about his personal state. For instance, there is a certain shade of sickly green that he used when he was going through his roughest phases of mental illness. He used yellow with "cautious optimism" and blues in times of triumph and joy. He was a genius in the way he coupled color with different brushstrokes to evoke certain feelings about his subjects. The painting above, "Old Man in Sorrow (On the Threshold of Eternity)" evokes a sadness in uncertainty and powerlessness that is unmatched. 


My favorite work by Van Gogh is "Almond Blossom"





This work is so triumphant for me, and the blues he uses is so healing to me. I think there is much to be said about how colors effect people, and how they can heal. He painted this as a gift for his brother Theo, on the occasion of the birth of his son, whom they named Vincent Willem. I can imagine watching the creation of this painting and the joy that he put into each fine brush stroke. This one is so healing for me, I painted my room the same color as this blue! 


I also found some very inspiring quotes by Van Gogh from www.brainyquote.com:

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream."



"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together. "

"Happiness... it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort."

"How can I be useful, of what service can I be? There is something inside me, what can it be?"
 

"I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."


I will leave you with this last one! 


"I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people." ,
liz xo

No comments:

Post a Comment